Wednesday, April 11, 2012

last lecture!! number 5!!

Britney Boswell
Artist lecture number 5!!

I attended the lecture by Jeanine Jablonski. She got her MFA from MCA. She came to Memphis in 2003 and really missed home, but she knew she couldn't go back until she built up her resume, which she did. She found that working in galleries and setting up exhibitions were much more important to her. She worked at many art galleries around Memphi, and then her hometown. She later owned her very own gallery. It was very small and she wanted to feature artists in her region. Today she has her third gallery, after leaving the other two, and she says that they are nearly done painting and it will be ready to go in the fall. In her lecture she discussed the different galleries and the many many artists that she had featured. Artists include: Nick Pitman, Nathaniel Price, Grier Edmundson (from Memphis), Matt King ( her first to ever be put on Art Forum), Nick Van Woert, Eddie Martinez, Natasha Spellman, and many more. Alto of the art works didn't astound me very much. When I found out how much one of the paintings costs, I was shocked. One painting was eight thousand dollars. For that much I would buy the artist too! But they weren't all bad there were a few that caught my eye. Bobbi Woods was a girl featured form LA. She took old advertisements and old magazine pages and remade them. In some she would take out everything, except on part of the image. for instance, i one piece she took everything out of the picture except Marlene Monroe's lips! That was interesting to me. Another artist I liked was Grier Edmundson, he did prints, painted some, and I believe he also had sculptures. I think that of all the images she showed, his artwork was some of the best. He had a good technique and I think that's what I liked about it. Altogether I think that the lecture could have been a little more exciting, but it was ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment